Soccer shin guards should be worn with the shin guard portion covering the front of the lower leg and the ankle guard portion covering the ankle bone. Soccer is a popular and engaging sport that requires minimal equipment, but the right equipment is essential to ensure safety and protection.
When it comes to soccer shin guards, many players may wonder about the correct way to wear them. The shin guard portion should cover the front of the lower leg, while the ankle guard portion should cover the ankle bone.
Knowing how to properly wear shin guards can reduce the risk of injury and allow players to focus on the game. In this article, we will discuss the importance of soccer shin guards, how to choose the right size and type, and step-by-step instructions on how to properly wear them.
Understanding Soccer Shin Guards And Their Importance
Soccer is a game of running, dribbling, and kicking the ball with your feet. It involves a lot of physical activity, and players need to be well-protected. One of the most important pieces of protection is the shin guard. Shin guards protect the shin bone from injuries that can be caused by hard kicks and collisions.
They are also mandatory in most soccer leagues, including professional leagues.
The Role Of Shin Guards In Soccer
Shin guards protect the shin bone from several injuries that can result in fractures and deep bruises. Besides, shin guards provide much-needed support and stability and prevent the leg muscles from oscillating, which may cause fatigue and injury.
Shin guards can offer protection against opposing players’ kicks, which can be sometimes hard enough to cause serious injuries. In fact, some players intentionally kick their opponents’ shins with the intention of hurting them.
Different Types Of Shin Guards Available
Shin guards come in various shapes and sizes, ranging from slip-in guards to full-coverage guards. The various types of shin guards include-
- Slip-in shin guards: These are minimalistic and designed to be slipped into the socks.
- Ankle shin guards: They provide additional ankle protection for players and have a padded ankle sleeve attached to the guard.
- Full coverage shin guards: As the name suggests, they provide full coverage to the shin bone and ankle. These are often used at the beginner level as they offer excellent protection and stability.
Factors To Consider When Choosing Shin Guards
When choosing shin guards, a few factors should be considered. These factors include:
- Age and size: Ensure the shin guards fit the player properly, providing optimum protection and mobility.
- Materials: Most shin guards are made of foam, plastic, or a combination of both. Consider the material’s durability and weight when choosing a shin guard.
- Level of play: Players at different levels require different types of shin guards. Inexperienced players may benefit more from full coverage guards, while professionals usually prefer slip-in guards.
- Comfort: A good shin guard should be comfortable to wear and should not restrict movement. Choose shin guards that provide enough padding and cushioning.
Remember to consider these factors when choosing shin guards to make sure you’re getting the right type of protection for your needs.
Soccer is a game with many physical activities. Shin guards play an essential role in protecting soccer players‘ legs from potential injuries, enhancing their performance, and providing support and stability. When selecting shin guards, it is important to choose the right size, material, and type that fits your specific needs as a player.
Which Way Do Soccer Shin Guards Go? A Helpful Guide
Footedness And How It Affects Wearing Shin Guards
Before you start wearing shin guards, it’s important to determine your dominant foot. Your dominant foot is the foot that feels most comfortable for kicking a soccer ball. Once you know your footedness, you can select the correct shin guard for your preferred foot.
The shin guard should be worn on the lower leg of your dominant foot. If you’re unsure which foot is dominant, you can perform this simple test:
- Stand with your legs together and then jump forward.
- The foot that you use to take the first step forward after landing is your dominant foot.
Common Mistakes To Avoid When Wearing Shin Guards
While shin guards are essential for protecting your lower legs and ankles from soccer tackles, improperly wearing them can lead to injuries. Here are some common mistakes to avoid when wearing shin guards:
- Wearing shin guards on the wrong leg: Be sure to wear the shin guards on your lower leg, the part of your leg between your ankle and knee, and not on the upper leg.
- Wearing the wrong size: Shin guards come in various sizes, so it’s essential to select the one that fits comfortably and provides enough coverage.
- Not securing the shin guards correctly: Properly secure the shin guards with velcro straps so that they stay in place during the game.
- Failing to adjust the socks: The shin guards should sit comfortably inside your soccer socks. Ensure that your soccer socks are pulled up and snug over the shin guards.
Tips For Properly Fitting Shin Guards
Choosing the right shin guards and fitting them correctly can make all the difference in avoiding soccer-related injuries. Here are some helpful tips to follow:
- Check the size: Measure your leg from the bottom of the knee to the top of the ankle to determine the appropriate size of shin guards.
- Choose the type of shin guard: There are various types of shin guards available, including slip-in, ankle shin guards, and sleeve shin guards.
- Try them on: Try on the shin guards to ensure they fit comfortably and securely.
- Wear soccer socks: Always wear soccer socks over the shin guards to keep them in place and to prevent any friction against your skin.
- Make adjustments: Finalize the fitting by adjusting the velcro straps of the shin guard to ensure a snug fit.
Remember, wearing shin guards is essential in protecting you from injuries, but correctly fitting and wearing them is just as vital. By following these tips, you’ll be able to play soccer comfortably while keeping your lower legs and ankles protected.
How To Wear Soccer Shin Guards
Soccer is an incredibly physical game, and as a result, players need to take measures to protect themselves. One of the most important protective measures is the use of shin guards. Shin guards are an essential part of any soccer player’s equipment, but do you know which way they are supposed to go?
In this blog post, we’ll answer that question and provide you with a step-by-step guide to wearing them properly. So, let’s get started!
Ideal Wearing Method For Maximum Protection
To ensure maximum protection, you need to know the ideal wearing method for soccer shin guards. Here are the key points to keep in mind:
- The shin guards should be worn underneath your socks to help keep them in place.
- Position the shin guards so that they cover the front of your shin – this area takes the brunt of impact in soccer.
- Make sure the shin guards are snug against your leg to prevent any shifting during the game.
- Double-check to make sure they’re not too tight – you don’t want to cut off circulation!
Step By Step Guide To Wearing Shin Guards
Now that you know the ideal way to wear shin guards, let’s go over a step-by-step guide to putting them on correctly:
- Put on your soccer socks as you normally would, making sure they are pulled all the way up.
- Take one of your shin guards and position it on the front of your shin, so it covers the area from just below your knee to above your ankle.
- Use the straps or sleeves (depending on the type of shin guard you have) to secure the shin guard in place. Make sure it’s snug against your leg but not too tight.
- Repeat the first three steps with your other leg.
- Double-check that both shin guards are securely in place, and adjust if necessary.
Cleaning And Maintaining Shin Guards
Now that you know how to wear soccer shin guards correctly, it’s equally important to know how to care for them. Here are some tips on cleaning and maintaining shin guards:
- After every use, wipe them down with a damp cloth to remove any dirt or sweat.
- Be sure to let them air dry completely before storing them.
- Avoid storing them in a hot car or damp area, which can lead to odor and bacteria growth.
- If your shin guards have a hard shell, you can use mild soap and water to clean them.
- For fabric-covered shin guards, you can put them in the washing machine on a gentle cycle and air dry.
That’s it – everything you need to know about wearing, cleaning, and maintaining soccer shin guards. Keep in mind that it’s essential to wear them properly to prevent serious injuries. Happy playing!
Top Brands For Soccer Shin Guards Worth Considering
When it comes to soccer equipment, nike is a prominent name. They manufacture some of the most advanced shin guard technologies, which provide both comfort and protection. Here are some key points worth knowing about nike shin guards:
- The anatomical design is lightweight and flexible, providing excellent fit and coverage.
- Nike dri-fit technology wicks away sweat, keeping players dry and comfortable.
- The durable shell offers protection against tough tackles.
Adidas is another top-notch soccer equipment brand, acknowledged for its quality and performance. The following points highlight why adidas shin guards are considered among the best:
- Adidas shin guards are incredibly durable and can withstand extreme impact.
- The eva backing offers comfortable and soft cushioning.
- The adjustable straps create a secure fit and prevent the shin guards from slipping.
Puma’s shin guards are designed with precision, making them perfect for seasoned soccer players. The following list features key points that make puma shin guards stand out from the rest:
- A special eva foam backing and shell provide extra cushioning and protection.
- A perforated and compressed eva foam backing provides optimal air circulation.
- The anatomical design ensures a comfortable and secure fit.
If you’re looking for high-quality shin guards, under armour shouldn’t be overlooked. Here are the key features of under armour shin guards worth considering:
- The hard shell is constructed of lightweight materials, making the shin guards comfortable and easy to wear.
- The strategically-placed vents allow breathability and flexibility.
- The unique design adapts perfectly to the contours of the leg, providing maximum protection and comfort during the game.
As a soccer player, it’s essential to invest in reliable and comfortable shin guards that can protect you during the game. Nike, adidas, puma, and under armour are among the top brands worth considering. Choose the one that you feel most comfortable wearing and fits your needs best.
Note: all the information provided is for educational and informational purposes only. We recommend consulting a sports specialist before using any soccer equipment.
Frequently Asked Questions For Which Way Do Soccer Shin Guards Go?
How Do You Wear Soccer Shin Guards?
Soccer shin guards should be worn snugly around the shin bone and should cover the entire front part of the shin. They should be held in place with the use of shin guard sleeves or soccer socks.
What Are The Different Types Of Soccer Shin Guards?
The two most common types of soccer shin guards are slip-in guards and ankle shin guards. Slip-in guards are lightweight and can be easily slid into a pocket in the front of the player’s soccer socks. Ankle shin guards provide additional ankle protection.
Which Shin Guard Size Is Right For Me?
The right shin guard size for you is dependent on the length of your shin. Measure from the top of your ankle to just below your knee, where the bend in your leg is. This will give you the length measurement you need to find the correct size shin guards.
After reading this post, you now understand the correct direction to wear your soccer shin guards. Remember that the proper placement of the shin guards is crucial in protecting your legs during the game. Always make sure that the shin guards are comfortable, secure, and in the correct position.
Additionally, selecting the appropriate type of shin guard will also make a difference in the level of comfort and protection you receive. With the right equipment and knowledge, you can excel on the soccer field without worrying about potential injuries.
Finally, always remember to follow safety instructions and guidelines when playing soccer. Stay safe, have fun, and enjoy the beautiful game of soccer!